Dr. Vasil I. Kisil, 1948 - 2019
Dr. Vasil I. Kisil was a Senior Partner of the firm. He has been VKP’s managing partner for more than fifteen years.
Dr. Kisil was a professor of Private International Law at the Institute of International Relations within the National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv. Mr Kisil received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree and gained domestic and international recognition as a leading Ukrainian expert on Private International Law, Civil Law, and Investment Law.
Vasil I. Kisil was a member of the Public Council with the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, a member of the Judicial Reform Committee with the President of Ukraine, a member of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Higher Commercial Court of Ukraine. Mr. Kisil was an Arbitrator of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
Dr. Kisil advised the relevant Parliamentary Committee of Ukraine on development of legislation in field of concession, natural resources, production sharing agreements, rights of the foreign investors. For a major contribution to the development of higher education and training of highly qualified professionals, he received an Order of Merit of the ІІІ degree.
Dr. Vasil I. Kisil authored numerous course-books, monographs and publications, including:
"Cancellation of Marriage in International Private Law", 1980;
"Foreigners and Soviet Law", 1982;
"Rights and Obligations of Parents and Children", 1985;
"International Private Law" (textbook), 1986;
"Civil Law: Questions & Answers", 1987;
"Legal Status of Foreigners in the USSR", 1987;
"Family Law for the Young", 1990;
"Implementation of International Legal Rules in Domestic Law", 1992;
"International Family Law" (student textbook), 1993;
"Protection of Foreign Investments in Ukraine (Theoretical and Practical Aspects)", 1994;
"Private International Law: Codification Issues," 2000;
"Applicable Law in Foreign Trade Contracts: Legislative Trends", Yurydychnyi Zhurnal (Legal Journal), No 2(20), 2004;
"Private International Law: Codification Issues", 2005;
"International Private Law" (textbook), 2012.
Professional Associations and Membership
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Ukrainian Bar Association
- According to the prestigious legal research guide Best Lawyers Dr. Kisil was listed among the best Ukrainian practitioners for Corporate, Investment, Litigation, Mergers & Acquisitions and Trade in 2009-2019. "Corporate Lawyer of the Year" (2010, 2014). "Kyiv Investment Lawyer of the Year" (2013);
- Honorably mentioned for his impeccable reputation in the Ukrainian legal market, the Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, 2009-2019. Dr.Kisil is recognized as "Senior Statesman for advising clients on complicated strategic issues";
- Endorsed as a leading practitioner in Corporate Law/Mergers & Acquisitions in Ukraine, The PLC Which Lawyer?, 2009-2012;
- Repeatedly mentioned by Who's Who Legal among the world leading practitioners in Corporate Governance;
- Repeatedly recommended as a leading expert in investment issues by Ukrainian Law Firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients;
- Rated among the best 100 lawyers of Ukraine according to the Clients' Choice Rating (by Yuridicheskaya Gazeta), 2008 – 2013 (Corporate and M&A);
- Honored with an Outstanding Professional Achievements Award as part of the "Legal Awards 2013"organized by the “Yuridicheskaya Practika” (Legal Practice) newspaper;
- The KyivPost weekly ranked Mr Kisil among the top 10 leading lawyers in Ukraine;
- Laureate of the prestigious award for Professional Honour and Merit by the Ukrainian Bar Association in 2013;
- Received Market Makers Award in Ukraine by CEE Legal Matters in 2017.